Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Yummy happy Weekend!

We ran into our farmer friends, Sarah and Andy at the grocery store on Thursday. It was really kind of weird. I had just said to Mike that I wanted to have them over for dinner again. We were walking in as they were walking out. It was fate. Really! What are the chances of us being there at exactly the right time. Anywho, We invited, and they came for dinner Friday. We always have a great time. Sarah made the chocolate zucchini cake (the kids request) with the peanut butter frosting on the side this time so i could have some. yumma! They are so super helpful too. We have so much to learn about this farming thing and we definitely need all the help we can get. They brought lots of seeds to share. Tons of varieties of tomatoes plus carrots and kale and lettuce. I am thrilled. Andy also said he would help us find our maples so we can tap them. Normally you identify them by the leaves, except, um its winter, no leaves. This is really exciting. Yummy maple syrup. We also discussed some other really exciting ideas. As usual, we were having such a good time gabbing that the time got away from us. They left around midnight. If this was a few years ago, that would be pretty early for me. But, alas, I am old now! So Saturday consisted of us lounging around all day. Honestly, aside from the mess. It was wonderful. After breakfast we broke out into a full-on drum circle jam. The sun was beaming in the windows, it was so fun. The kids loved it! The baby thought it was the greatest thing. He was playing his maracas.
We then watched Penelope, gotta love instant netflix, I made a big lunch/dinner. I made tofu scramble and These Delicious Sweet Potato Pancakes. They were sooo very yummy. It took forever to shred the sweet potatoes by hand. I need a new food processor! But so worth it in the long run. We omitted the eggs and added 1/4 cup arrow root powder and 1/4 cup water. I think you could use cornstarch or potato starch as well. I also used sweet onion instead of red because that is what we had. They were so darn good! Some ate them with salsa, some with ketchup, I ate them with just a little salt. They were a huge hit here with all six of us and I'm sure we will be having them again soon!




I am sharing these photos with you on the basis that you will promise not to notice how horrible i look(never looked in the mirror or got dressed) or how messy it is while we are cooking. It does not normally look that bad.


We were so stuffed we immediately sat down to watch Beverly Hills 90210 the original pilot. So fun! the kids were frightened by the style! Then we listened to Eragon on CD and I worked on my knitting. I'm making these. It was a lovely day. Even if it did mean tons of cleaning to catch up on Sunday, all worth it. Yes this has officially thrown our TV limits right out the window.
On a side note, Mike and I watched "The Future of Food" last night. It was truly disturbing and eye opening. Honestly if you have even the slightest concern about GMO's , or I guess especially if you don't, you need to see this film. It is available for instant viewing on Netflix. The boys will be watching it as their science assignment today. You should really check it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am a mom of 4 boys too! Just wanted to give you a hug and a big pat on the back. You are an amazing mom, what lucky boys!

Bea said...

ahh those sweet potato pancakes look delicious! Must try them sometime, they must be amazing to be a hit with all your family. Reminded of a lovely recipe for sweetcorn fritters which I must post about soon..
.. and you look far from horrible and your kitchen far from messy, it looks lovely with a great layout.